It was opening weekend for major haunts last week, as Halloween Horror Nights in both Florida and Orlando kicked off the season with their 2014 events. For the best experience, we don’t typically recommend visiting haunts during opening weekend, since they’re usually working out the kinks in new mazes and effects. Scareactors are also trying to find their groove, and crowd control can also be an issue. But if you’re dying to know how HHN 2014 is stacking up to previous years, there are already a few reviews out there.
Caution: spoilers ahead!
Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood
Los Angeles Times – Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights gets better as crowds grow bigger
“Like an evil genius devising more deviously clever ways to dispatch his victims, Horror Nights has upped its industry-leading game once again….”
“…the increasing popularity of Horror Nights has made the crowding issue worse with each passing year.”
- Must-see maze: An American Werewolf in London. Maze to skip: Dracula: Untold
- Terror tip: The tram will no longer take you to the lower lot; be prepared for a long walk.
Theme Park Insider – Halloween Horror Nights 2014 at Universal Studios Hollywood
“We didn’t stop for anything more than a bathroom break for the nearly seven hours we were inside the park — that’s what it took to finish all seven mazes and Terror Tram.
It’s going to be crowded this year, folks.”
- Must-see maze: Alien vs. Predator. Maze to skip: Face Off: In the Flesh.
- Terror tip: Arrive early, and line up all the way to the left or right of the plaza.
Inside the Magic – Halloween Horror Nights 2014 debuts with demented mix of fun and frights at Universal Studios Hollywood
“When you plan on visiting this event, wear comfortable shoes as there is now a lot more walking involved.”
- Must-see maze: An American Werewolf in London. Maze to skip: The Walking Dead.
- Terror Tip: Be prepared to be disappointed if you were looking for shows or performances.
Mice Chat – Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights Review
“This is a better than average year for Halloween Horror Nights.”
“Simply put, [Dark Christmas] is the best scare zone that we have seen Universal Studios Hollywood do in years.”
- Must-see maze: Alien vs. Predator. Mazes to skip: Terror Tram and Dracula Untold.
- Terror Tip: Arrive early and head straight for the lower lot.
Halloween Horror Nights Orlando
Inside the Magic – Halloween Horror Nights 2014 house-by-house review as Universal Orlando terrorizes with top thrills from movies, TV
“While Universal’s creativity certainly shines across this year’s scare zones and three noteworthy haunted houses, the real standout stars come straight off the screen, ready to make all who enter scream.”
- Must-see maze: Alien Vs. Predator. Maze to skip: Dracula Untold.
- Terror tip: Hitting The Walking Dead then Halloween is recommended to avoid long lines.
Click Orlando – Halloween Horror Nights Review
“The art direction this year, to me, is really outstanding.”
- Must-see maze: Alien Vs. Predator. Maze to skip: Giggles & Gore, Inc.
Monsters and Critics – Review: Halloween Horror Nights 2014 at Universal Studios Orlando Is Scaretastic
“From the moment of entry it is seen that the walking zones of the Universal Studios’ park have been converted into living, breathing nightmares.”
- Must-see maze: Giggles & Gore, Inc.