John Murdy has been holding a sporadic contest via Twitter to guess what this year’s mazes will be based on the code names and clues he’s been giving out. Here’s what we know so far:
Maze (and Other) Code Names
1. GV Black (maze)
2. Soap Opera (maze)
- Additional clues: “Run, Forest, Run” and “O’Dowd”
3. Trivia (maze)
4. 3DN (maze) (Full name: 3 Dog Night)
- Murdy has said this is NOT a 3-D maze
- UPDATE: We’re hearing this could be a “Hostel” maze: The band “Three Dog Night” had a song called “Eli’s Coming,” and Eli Roth (director of Hostel) is serving as one of the judges in HHN’s short film competition. Also, Murdy has said that 4 of the mazes are set outside the United States this year, and “Hostel” would fall into that category.
5. Bunny Gibbons (maze)
- This code name was release on April Fool’s Day, and Murdy says to “keep that in mind”
6. Steven (maze, scare zone, or terror tram)
- Additional clue: “something in common/connection with Back to the Future and Indiana Jones,” however, Murdy says that connection is NOT Steven Spielberg, and the clue doesn’t have to do with the characters in that movie
- In this “project,” you will see a basement and a headmaster, and hear a tape (note: It is NOT SAW)
- You will also see these clowns in this maze/scare zone/terror tram (whatever it’s going to be)
Additional Clues (Corresponding Code Name Unknown)
- “Broken Neck”
- “Anarchy in the UK” (specifically the abbreviation “IRA” used in the song)
- “Real Wild Child”
- “Blue Cross”
The real G.V. Black was a “founder of modern dentistry” and inventor of the foot-driven dental drill. Mr. Murdy has implied that the name has some (perhaps tenuous) link to the maze itself, and the obvious guess was Saw. Which he denied. He did indicate that he came up with the code name by reading the movie script. There have been a lot of guesses that this could be Trick r Treat or Candyman.
As for “Soap Opera,” our guess is that this will be an Evil Dead maze, given the clue of “Run, Forest, Run” and the fact that Bruce Campbell played a soap opera actor in Fargo. However, Murdy has said that no one has correctly guessed what this maze is, so now it seems that our Evil Dead theory might not be correct. What we DO know is that this maze will be going into the Shrek queue area (where Nightmare on Elm Street [NOES] was located in 2010). So it appears reasonable to infer that NOES will not be returning this year. Murdy has said “Soap Opera” is not a “Scream” maze, but then again, he has also said that he cannot “confirm or deny” any guesses on Twitter.
Additionally, “Nicasio” was revealed as a code name for a maze this year, but according to John, the deal fell through and it will not be happening. However, he said that it may happen sometime in the future, so he won’t reveal what it was going to be. He did say that none of the guesses were even close.
Let us know what your guesses are for these mazes. Remember that the usual criteria for a maze at HHN Hollywood are a strong main character (who can be represented by actors) and many different environments for the guest to experience.