When it was announced that the 2021 Midsummer Scream convention, one of the top haunt conventions in the country, would be canceled for the second year in a row due to COVID, we must admit we were feeling pretty bleak. But that quickly turned around with the announcement of a special horror holiday convention, Season’s Screamings. Presented by the producers of Midsummer Scream, this unique event will take place December 17-19, 2021, at the Pasadena Convention Center, with plenty of vendors selling special spooky merchandise, special guests and panels, and yes, even holiday-themed mini-haunts that will scare up a festive spirit in even the most grinchiest of us.
The show floor of the Pasadena Convention Center is pretty huge, and this event will feature more than 200 vendors. You’ll be sure to find some great stocking stuffers and larger gifts for the horror fan on your shopping list. While you peruse the booths, evil elves and other sinister spirits will be wandering about to spread the spirit of the holidaze. This event is also the perfect time to don your gayest holiday horror cosplay.
Each day also features a full schedule of panels and guests. Some of the presentations include talks on holiday horror films, spooky season traditions, and the legend of Krampus. The main highlights, however, include a panel on the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay with animatronic expert and legend Garner Holt and a fun interview with Zach Galligan, star of the holiday classic horror movie Gremlins.
But of course, we’re most excited about the haunts! The “Hall of Yuletide” spirits will feature five holiday-themed haunts and displays:
- “A Christmas Scarol” (by CalHaunts): A Dickens inspired experience with spirited interactions and performances by members of Force of Nature Productions. Ghostly carolers and visitations from haunting spirits roaming the graveyard after dark!
- “The Cabin” (from Insane Haunt Productions): A frighteningly fun holiday party gone wrong far from where anyone can hear you scream for help!
- “Holiday Fear” (by the Dreich Society): Jack Frost and his army of dark elves are taking the throne at the North Pole, after crashing Santa’s annual Christmas party. Will you survive the slaughter?
- “The Holiday Haunt With No Name…Yet”: An ancient Celtic graveyard getting into the season with spirited activity and dazzling visual effects.
- “Gingerbread House of Horrors” (by Fear Farm): A nightmarish walk through holiday wonderland filled with rotting candy and lurking monsters!
Tickets are still available, but be sure to get yours before they sell out. To buy tickets and for more information, visit the Season’s Screamings website.